Saturday 17 December 2011

Inside a woman's closet

Every woman has a closet. Some are small, some are shared and some are bigger than your first apartment.

Every closet has a history. Every closet has a story. There is more to them than what meets the eye.

My closet is one that I take great pride in. I enjoy keeping it organized. I've used methods of organization such as sorting by colour or by category. I tend to go through my closet at least once a month. I look at what I don't wear anymore and either donate, throw out or send it to a friend. I may have a different method of organizing and maintaining my closet than other women but some areas of our closets are very similar.
We all have common items in our closets. They may not be the same style or colour or size but they have a common bond. There is the section in our closets that we keep the jeans we used to fit in before the 'I dos'. There might even be the wedding dress we keep to show our daughters and at times it's a reminder of a different shape we used to be. I know some of you have those amazing outfits that you rocked on a night out with the girls. Those outfits are now something you keep to remind you of how great those times were. Those nights are now replaced with homework help and lullabies. We all have those items hanging in the far back of the closet that are no longer trendy. Yet we keep them because they might just make a comeback and when they do, we might still be young enough to sport them. There are the random shirts, skirts and dresses that have the tags hanging hopelessly from them because you couldn't pass up such a good deal. We all know there's bound to be an occasion when you'll need to wear them, one day. Keepsake college wear and concert T's take up their own spot in our closets and our memories. We could never consider tossing them. After all they represent a first kiss, first drink, or first arrest (just kidding about the last one). I'm sure you can all relate.

I think it's fair to say that if I walked into any closet, of anyone reading this, I could quickly get an idea of who you are and where you've been. Our clothes say a lot about us. When we carefully select each piece of an outfit from our closet, we are deciding what we want the world to think about us. Our closets house a huge part of our lives and command a level of respect.

....but then again that's just me and my love affair with fashion talking.

XO
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment