Wednesday 14 September 2011

Red- va va voom- lips

On a recent trip to Sephora with one of my bestie Kathleen and her sister Bernelle I decided to do something a little crazy. Let's keep in mind that crazy, for me, is the equivalent to Kim Kardashian being spotted eatting ice cream two days in a row. I brought up the prospect of trying red lipstick to my gal pals. I even went as far as to suggest we get an associate to show us how to do it correctly on our own lips (I know I'm living on the edge). I knew there had to be a process and I was right. She began by teaching us how to pick out the correct shade of red. For Bernelle and my skin colour we couldn't go too dark, like a burgundy red, or too light, like a pinky red. Next was the application. Easy enough as long as you have a steady hand. Then it was time for lip liner. Stay with the same shade. It can be beneficial to apply this after the lipstick so you can even out any imperfections caused when applying your lip colour. Voila! C'est magnifique! You are now looking like a diva! Truth is we really did look good. What made it even sweeter was when the associate stated that it's a huge fall trend. SOLD! We decided to take the plunge and purchase our new red lips. However, being a mom on the go, I just couldn't see the practicality in doing more than one quick application and out the door I go. I needed an all in one red lip makeover rather than a lipstick and liner process. After searching through our other sultry options in the Sephora brand section, we found a lip stain that did the trick. It was a reasonable $14. I love the Sephora store and brand especially. It's fairly inexpensive for the quality of product you get. I've been around the block a few times to know that this is a good price. Head into your local department store and you will find many similar options but for prices much higher. Side note: I'm also madly in love with their liquid eye liner, it's amazing (trust me, I've gone through so many other inferior brands). After my lips were done M, who waited patiently, was quite amused by mommy's new lips and constantly wanted to examine them. The general consensus is that they are a go!

By sharing my adventures I thought I'd try and spark a few of you to be daring and try wearing the red lip trend this Fall. It can be a fantastic chic addition to an outfit and make you feel flirty and fashionable. You can wear it out for a casual coffee break with a friend or a fancy date night with your other half. It's super versitile. If you aren't convinced yet check out the four page spread in the September issue of InStyle magazine. It's a great how-to guide that features everything from picking the right shade to choosing the finish that is right for you and even a who's who of celebs sporting perfectly red pouts.

So go on and find your inner va-va voom and go paint the town (and your lips) RED!

Xo
Amber






No comments:

Post a Comment