Thursday 1 September 2011

Celeb Trends: Embrace or Erase from your mind

I love keeping up on the latest trends and seeing what the celebrities are sporting these days. This is probably what fuels my magazine addiction. I recently picked up the September issue of People Style Watch. On page 136 they highlight a Celeb Trend that I am so torn about I needed to post it to see what you all thought.

Tie Neck Blouses.

On one hand I'm thinking "Grandma, Grandma, Grandma". Then on the other hand I'm thinking "Elegant, feminine.... maybe one of those things that you see on the rack and think 'ew' but then your best friend convinces you to try it on and you look like a million bucks so you treat her to a grande, non-fat, no whip something or other from Starbucks to thank her for pushing your fashion boundries to new levels!" So maybe I should be my own best friend and give it a fair try.

My eyes wander to the bottom of the page which has a section that lets us 'average joes' know where we can find the look in varying price ranges. The only one that tickles my fancy is the style from H & M. My reasons being that it's the most inexpensive and I have an iPhone app for H & M that gives me the occasional discount coupon. I am, after all, a diva on a dime.  I venture into the mall the next day to take the plunge and try on what hopefully isn't a disaster. I search the store for the same style blouse. I stumble upon the closest thing to the tie-neck as I could. It was a nude coloured blouse with the same draping however the height of the tie and thickness of the tie were slightly off. I thought I've give it a try none the less. On my way to the change room I picked up a similar coloured tank for underneath, as the blouse was sheer. As I looked in the mirror at my take on the celeb trend I thought "Hmm this isn't half bad looking". My second thought was " This is super comfortable". I looked effortlessly put together and felt so comfortable that I could wear this look out with M or out to dinner. I popped on a cool blazer and I was sold!



I think the key to celeb trends is taking from them what works for you and make it your own. I'm still not sure if I could pull off the exact same look as the ladies in the picture on the left but I found something similar that worked for me. Overall, it's fun trying new things and finding out something new about your style. I highly recommend taking the plunge and breaking down your fashion boundries.

Xo
Amber

2 comments:

  1. Wow... it is very old-fashioned, but celebs make just about anything look good. I like the choice you made though -- it looks modern enough that there isn't as much risk as with the advertised look. And you're beautiful in it! It really flatters you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks really nice Amber! I wouldn't mind something like that myself. Where from? H&M? And how much?

    ReplyDelete