Wednesday 18 January 2012

Homemade facial and a polish change

Monday night I wasn't in the best of moods. I was just feeling off and not myself.  I spent the early evening snuggled up with M. We were both quite content watching movies and sharing snacks. After she went to bed I decided I needed a pick me up. I wanted to try out my new nail polish colour. As well try a new facial I saw on the Lauren Conrad website/blog I've been eyeing for a while.
I tried out the 'Oh Sugar Pie Honey Bunch Facial'  before I did my nails. It's a homemade concoction that sounds easy and aids in the drying effects winter has on our skin. It is suppose to exfoliate and moisturize your face. It consists of three ingredients:
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of honey
  • 1 tbsp. of milk (the higher the fat percentage, the better)
The amount of exfoliating power will depend on how much sugar you want to put in the mixture.




 I am a huge fan of anything that exfoliates my skin. If it can leave my face feeling soft and be easy on my wallet then I'm one happy mama. I decided to mix up half of what the recipe calls for. I normally only have skim milk on hand but I made a special purchase of 2% for this occasion. A fun fact about milk is that the lactic acid from it will help to slough away dead skin. The fats in the milk with help to strengthen skin and plump it up.

The website tells you to do the following:
  1. Pour sugar into a bowl, slowly stirring in the honey, and add quantity of milk desired (the more milk the looser the consistency).
  2. Pat mixture onto skin (avoiding eye area, it makes eyelashes sticky and the sugar is harsh on delicate skin). Leave on for 10-20 minutes (whatever you like best and have time for) this mask will not dry on your skin or become tight or hard, it will stay moist and sticky, I suggest wearing an old t-shirt while wearing this in case of any "sticky situations."
  3. Rinse the mixture off with lukewarm water; you may use a wash cloth or facial cleansing brush to assist you if you like, but make sure to clean extra well around your hairline or some of the honey might dry in hard sticky clumps. Eew no thank you!
  4. I also like to soak cotton pads/rounds in some of the same type of milk I added into the mixture, I put on some relaxing music, and lay on m bed for 5 minutes with the pads/rounds layer on my face!
  5. Then rinse, apply moisturizer (don't forget to put one on that has SPF if you're going out in the sun after this facial!), Look at yourself in the mirror and SMILE! You are beautiful, and now you're soft, glowy, clean skin is a little bit more beautiful too!
After mixing together my ingredients I starred at the bowl and wondered just how well this was going to stay on my face. I applied it with my fingers as evenly as possible. I definitely could feel  gravity working because my face would tickle as the mixture slowly moved south. I spread the rest of it on quickly and took to the couch to lay back so I didn't drip my mess on the floor or on anything else for that matter. I waited 10 minutes with it caked on my face. It smelt so yummy and felt really great on my skin.


 I've used other pre-made drug store facials and I've always had a reaction to them. I liked that this was an all natural one. When I went to rinse my face, the mixture came off  well even though I had my doubts. I then applied my moisturizer (Marcelle- Hydra C 24 Hr Energizing Hydrating Gel). I was so happy with how soft my skin felt and how fresh it looked. All in all it was a great quick and easy at home facial that I would definitly do again.

My only complaint is that when rinsing off the mixture it was a bit rough and left my skin feeling a bit tingling but nothing too harsh. So if you are like me and have dry skin this winter I would highly suggest you try this out!

Now that I was all cleaned up and glowing I went on to paint my nails. I was looking for a fuscia colour to add to my collection of nail polish. I was reading an article on InStyle online about the most recent hottest colours for your nails and fuscia made the list. When I was out shopping I found this colour which was a mix of fuscia and magenta. I loved it!! I also loved it on my nails. It was a bright and cheery colour that boosted my mood and brought some life to this dull winter night.

Taking some time to make myself feel good was so worth it. A facial and a polish change was just what the doctor ordered.

XO
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment