Wednesday 14 March 2012

Colour blocking and colouring books

Colour blocking and colouring books

I was once told that colouring can relieve stress. Prior to getting pregnant with M I kept a Barbie colouring book and a box of crayons in my living room for those days when I just needed to chill out. About once a month I'd sit quiet, no tv or music or buzzing cell phone, and colour. Now when M colours, I colour. I think it's one of the best things a child can do. It allows them to be creative and learn about colours and how they work with each other. It's also a great time them to sit and be quiet.
 
Take a look inside a box of crayons. Purple, green and blue line up together and and look rich and bold. Pink, orange and black huddle in the corner and are sharp and fresh. These colour combos got me thinking about a popular spring trend, colour blocking.
By definition, Colour blocking is when you pair two or more contrasting - but ideally complementary – colours (chatelaine.com).



Colour blocking has been trending for the past few season and with just cause. It gives for a bold fashion statement. For someone, like myself, who tends to gravitate towards black, grey and white it is an opportunity to brighten up my look. The key is to stick with solid colours. Also keeping the number of colours to maximum of three prevents you from looking too young and like a rainbow coloured lollipop.

Aldo 'Tullis' shoe
CDN $70.00
For someone who is new to the trend and a little nervous about the proper pairing of items you can choose to buy an article of clothing that already sports colour blocking, like a dress or a purse. If you are confident you can pull this off then go for pairing a brightly coloured shirt with a bold cardigan and the oh so popular coloured denim trend.

Try to keep the colours in the same palette if you’re new to this trend — a light blue top and dark blue bottom will look chic without going overboard (chatelaine.com)
All in all this trend is fun and allows you to experiment with pieces in your wardrobe you may not have thought about putting together before. A bonus: done correctly, colour blocking can be very slimming to the body.
Inspiration for new fashion statements can come from anywhere, even from an afternoon of colouring with my girl.
Thinking about trying this trend out? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
XO
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment