Thursday 29 March 2012

A mom's wardrobe: Then and now

It happened one night while reading M a bedtime story. The moment when I realized that the illustrations in her book would just not fly now-a-days. She has this old book called The New Baby. It actually used to be mine. You can tell it is probably older than me and has seen better days. I love how things, like this book, come full circle when you start having a family of your own. The one thing about it that stuck with me was the outfits the mom was wearing. This is where I have issues. She obviously was from a time when the wife stayed home with the kids and the husband earned the income. Traditional. She was a 'stay at home mom'. I also, for the time being, am a stay a home mom. As well, I have a number of friends who are home 24/7 with their little ones. It's a profession that doesn't get nearly enough credit and is one that has changed dramatically over the years. The mother in the book spent her days caring for her children much like us modern mom's do. However, she did this wearing an outfit I would only wear if I had a full time job in an office. She was going about her day in tea length skirts, blouses and heels. It was something I thought 'Oh hell no that wouldn't happen'. If I had just had a new baby, which is was the story is about, I certainly wouldn't be sporting such a look. I'd be in yoga pants and comfy shirts. I think if Cory came home to me vaccuming in heels he'd think I had lost my mind. Even now, two years after having M, on days when I am out and about I'll dress in jeans, a cute top, maybe a blazer and flats. When I'm home cleaning and playing with M I don't dress up. Yoga pants are my go-to. It just goes to show how times have changed. How we aren't expected to dress up everyday just to stay home, maintain the house, and care for the children. It's perfectly acceptable to go without a shower and spend the day in what you might have wore to bed the night before. I'll admit I even have lazy days in which we proudly wear our pj's all day. However, majority of the time I am one who just feels better when I get a shower, do my hair and makeup and put on something appropriate to do errands in, meet a friend for a coffee, and head to the park with M. I guess I found a happy medium between the fashion of mom's then and now.
Let's just say I'm glad the pressures off of the stay at home mom's to be picture perfect all the time. I get all dolled up because it makes me feel good, not because it's expected. Plus at the end of the day M doesn't care what I wear or how I look but rather if I spent time colouring or playing blocks with her.

She's the boss, I work for her!

XO
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment