Wednesday 28 March 2012

A little pink me up

I have never really been a lipstick kind of girl. For starters I never thought I looked good with any shade on my pout besides a nude gloss. As of late I've been experimenting with more and more lip sticks and lip butters. I love the look of a coloured lip but didn't know what would look good on me. Plus I'm a huge gloss girl so I was unsure if I would love a lip stick at all. I was at my local drug store replenishing my foundation when I noticed the new Revlon Lip Butter was on sale for half price. I've tried L'Oreal's New Balm and loved it, however it wasn't on sale and I knew the two products were similar. Plus I had heard a lot of buzz about this new lip butter product so I was intrigued. Was it going to be similar to it's competitor?


This product has all the shine and moisture of a lip gloss but with the pigmentation of a lip stick. The two worlds have collided. I found something that might actually be my new favourite thing....IF I could find the right shade.

My search began. I knew I wanted a fun and flirty pink. I felt that it might suit my skin tone and be nice for spring. So like every girl that has gone before me, I selected shades and swiped each tester onto the top of my hand for reference. That is until the cosmetician approached me and told me a trick of the trade. She explained that it’s better if you use your fingertips as the sample area. She said that it has the same blood flow as your lips and will give a more accurate example. I shared with her how I get nervous buying new products in fear I picked the wrong colour or it doesn't do what I thought it would do. The lady told me that if I thought it was too much and I wanted to tone down the colour that I should apply it with a lip brush and it will appear softer. I was shocked I had never heard this before. So I bought the Lip Butter in Sweet Heart and I love it. The shade was a bit too bright for me at first, especially with being new to coloured lips. The next day I tried applying it with a brush and it was much better.

I love the lip butter about as much as L'Oreal's balm. I enjoy how it feels on my lips. I don’t feel the need to re-apply as often as I would with a gloss. I'm getting more comfortable with the colour and don't always feel the need for brush application. I would definitely recommend this product to a friend and if the sale was still on I’d pick up another one. Try both brands if you want to do a little comparison shopping.

I took a risk and I was surprisingly happy with the outcome! Sometimes we get in a beauty rut. We need to be pushed to break the boundaries and have some fun. I hope you can follow suit and find something new and fun to spice up your makeup routine!

XO
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment